Samsung SSD’s and Sleep Function

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
I’ve been struggling to find what is preventing my PC from sleeping and it turns out that the culprit is Samsung’s SSD Magician. This seemed to be odd behaviour so I asked Samsung and they stated that the sleep function is not typically advised with their SSD’s “as it can cause problems upon wake up”.

I’m a little surprised by that. Neither Plextor’s nor Intel's SSD toolbox issue wake timers. The Samsung’s SSD Magician however is issuing commands to prevent the PC from entering sleep mode. If you put the PC to sleep manually it will wake up within a minute, which is highly annoying. It has also been causing a BSOD when I use Intel’s Raid Start Technology to let my PC sleep overnight. Without the Samsung’s SSD Magician I don’t have a problem.

Now I’m wondering what potential problems can be caused when a Samsung SSD wakes from sleep. It’s ironic that the SSD power saving advantages over HDD are blitzed if you can’t use sleep.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
This is why I uninstalled Samsung Magician......

I use the S3 sleep mode all the time and have not encountered any issues with the 256GB 830.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sleep is relatively pointless with SSds. They boot so fast that sleep doesn't really buy a lot of time advantage. I find Samsung SSD Magician more valuable and more useful tthan sleep, especially in my laptop. It is a non-issue for my desktop because it runs 24/7. I simply turn the monitor OFF when I am not engaged.

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
I have uninstalled it also. Different problem thou. It would shut off something that would not let my backup software run. My main reson for "sleep mode" is to shut down the five fans running inside my case. Seven if you count the two on the Nactua CPU fan.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Samsung got back to me with this regarding a return from sleep state:

“Usually the problems are freezing or the system staying on a black screen. People usually have to reboot the machine a few times to get into the OS again. This type of issue is seen in SSD across the board not just Samsung SSDs”.

Can't say its something I've come across before.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
Yep. It is a PITA. And you can't just close it - it goes in the system tray. Then you have to click on it and you get a pop-up asking if you really want to close it.

What the hell were they thinking with all of this?

BTW I have not had any issues with stand-by and SSD.

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
The problem is not having the Magician installed, but having it started. I had the same problem and figured it out. Just make sure it does not come up at startup.
For me having the Magician installed is a plus.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
That's one of the reasons I never slept my SandForce Agility3... and don't sleep my 840Pro.

If my computer is going to set idle... I just shut it off. The desktop goes from power button to navigate in about 1 minute, the HTPC a little more... meh.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Sleep is relatively pointless with SSds. They boot so fast that sleep doesn't really buy a lot of time advantage. I find Samsung SSD Magician more valuable and more useful tthan sleep, especially in my laptop. It is a non-issue for my desktop because it runs 24/7. I simply turn the monitor OFF when I am not engaged.

SSD’s boot quickly, but fast boot and Intel Rapid Start are a lot faster, plus you can leave all your work open and just pick up where you left off, which also saves a lot of time.

I like to save energy and be able to boot quickly onto a desktop where I can start were I previously finished without reopening loads of documents, so for me it is an annoying fail. Not to mention that this "feature" is not documented.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Samsung 830's also have a problem with sleep on some computers where if you have ever slept the computer then on a normal restart the drive wont be detected. You actually have to remove it, plug it into another computer and power it up and then return it to the original machine. Its a real pain in the backside and I can't believe we don't have an updated firmware to resolve it. Its my guess that the Magician software prevents sleeping due to this fault in the drive.

GAO

Dec 10, 2009
SSD’s boot quickly, but fast boot and Intel Rapid Start are a lot faster, plus you can leave all your work open and just pick up where you left off, which also saves a lot of time.

I like to save energy and be able to boot quickly onto a desktop where I can start were I previously finished without reopening loads of documents, so for me it is an annoying fail. Not to mention that this "feature" is not documented.

I sleep my 840 Pro with zero issues. It is not a fail. It is not documented because it is not true. Try it, what do you have to loose?

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
I sleep my 840 Pro with zero issues. It is not a fail. It is not documented because it is not true. Try it, what do you have to loose?

It’s not me that is saying it. Samsung made the statement in a support ticket and it’s Samsung that have prevented sleep from functioning via the toolbox, not me ;) (Anything in italics is a direct quote from Samsung)

By the sound of the reply from Samsung it does not impact all systems so most likely they are taking a blanket response to play safe.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Bumping this thread. i've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my desktop wouldn't sleep. Event viewer was only showing a sleep state error. Closing Magician before sleeping fixes the immediate wakeup problem, and my 840 Pro doesn't seem to have any problem returning from sleep.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
can you just hibernate the computer? Saves more energy than sleep, and startup time will be just a little bit longer.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Or just skip the Magician software altogether. I've never found it useful for anything.

My 830's all sleep without any issues.

sam0t

Mar 20, 2006
I recently bought a Samsung 840 EVO drive and after running the Samsung Magician software's OS Optimization feature with Maximum performance selection noticed that Win7 would wake up from sleep mode on its own after few minutes.

In my case Samsung software had created a new power plan profile in Win7 with advanced setting "Sleep >> Allow wake timers" enabled. After deleting this profile and selecting Win7 own power profile Balanced with this particular setting disabled, my system's sleep mode again works as expected.

Hope this helps others with this particular problem.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
Unfortunately not a general solution for all.

In my case, I use the computer to record OTA TV and the recording software needs to be able to use "Wake Timers" in order to wake up the computer before the show starts airing........ some applications really need the "Wake Timers" to be enabled

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
You can use all the features that Magician provides and then stop it from loading at startup, this should allow it to sleep.

fredBloggs

Sep 8, 2013
Yeah I got a new 840 EVO too and the "solution" is to turn off wake timers.

Its really astounds me: the arrogance of these corporates that they would willy nilly mess with your system without even informing you let alone providing any options. I guess they have no respect for their patrons.

They have done away with user manuals and now there's not even any info in the software they provide, one must do Google searches!

The unhelpful workarounds people suggest are symptomatic of the problem, even the machines we "own" are not really ours let alone the inculation of various hidden or overt features e.g. why does a Video player need to know all your phone calls?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Having Magician installed is not the problem with Sleep. It is having it running in background. Simple fix - just set to not load at start up but only on manual command. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I do find that the optimise disk function restores performance lost over time, even with trim enabled.